As part of the Rockhurst Physical Therapy curriculum, students complete a group research project under faculty mentorship. Students disseminate their research at events such as Research Day, the American Physical Therapy Association's Combined Sections meeting, the Missouri Physical Therapy Association's spring conference, and Rockhurst's Festival of Student Achievement. Further information can be found here.
The Amy Thompson Human Performance Laboratory is a dedicated space for faculty and student research. The laboratory contains a 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional video capture system, EMG equipment, a BalanceMaster, isokinetic dynamometer to measure muscle strength, Woodway treadmill and two Monark bicycles.
All Rockhurst physical therapy faculty engage in scholarly activity. Listed below are areas of interest and ongoing research for core faculty members.
Ann Marie Decker, PT, MSA, GCS, CEEAA
- Clinical Education – the relationship between clinical educators and students
- Geriatrics - factors impacting function of older adults
Jim Dronberger, PT, DPT, OCS, MBA
- Professional appearance of physical therapists
- Musculoskeletal function of older adults
Amy Foley, PT, DPT, MA
- Clinical Reasoning of DPT students
- Acute care issues
Jean Hiebert, PT, PhD
Mohamed Kohia, PT, PhD
- Biomechanical analysis of the lower extremities
Janice Loudon, PT, PhD, SCS, ATC, CSCS
- Does the Functional Movement Screen (FMS) predict racing performance in a group of long distance runners?
Kelly Meiners, PT, MPT, ATC
- Higher education
Kirsten Potter, PT, DPT, MS
- Outcome measurement for individuals with neurologic conditions
- Developing a clinical practice guideline for a core set of outcome measures for patients with neurologic conditions
- Expertise and professional development needs of health care professionals serving individuals with multiple sclerosis
Marcie Swift, PT, PhD, FAAOMPT
- Clinical decision making
- Evaluation methods of physical therapist performance and simulation
Catherine Thompson, PT, PhD, MS
- Prevention practice
- Motor imagery across the lifespan
- Factors impacting motor development
Christina Wisdom, PT, DPT, OCS, CLT
- Leadership and professionalism in physical therapy
- Health and wellness