Application Process for the Master of Occupational Therapy Program
Applying to Rockhurst University’s Master of Occupational Therapy program is done through OTCAS – the Occupational Therapist Centralized Application Service. Know that if you have questions or need assistance throughout this process, we’re here to help.
Step 1: Complete Your Application
Create an OTCAS account and complete your application. Cycles open July 19, 2016 for the programs beginning the following academic year, with a deadline to submit all materials by Jan. 2. Enrollment is limited and early application is strongly encouraged. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
For assistance using OTCAS, contact 617-612-2860 or email@example.com. If you would prefer a paper application, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at 816-501-4097 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: Submit Required Materials to OTCAS
Your application is not complete until the following materials are submitted directly to OTCAS:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. These must be sent to OTCAS Verification Department, P.O. Box 9120, Watertown, MA 02471.
- Summary of your observation hours, extracurricular activities, honors and awards.
- Three letters of recommendation. These can be sent electronically or mailed. OTCAS only accepts paper recommendations when they are accompanied by a completed Paper Reference Form – an evaluation grid available for download when you login to your OTCAS account – and it must be sent to the same address above.
- A personal essay limited to 7500 characters, including spaces. You are encouraged to compose your essay using a text-only word processor, review for errors, then cut and paste directly into your OTCAS application.
- TOEFL scores of at least 79 on the internet-based text (only needed for international students whose first language is not English).
RU undergraduates do not need to apply through this process and can complete the application available in the Office of Graduate Admission. If you plan to begin the program during your senior year, you need to apply early in your junior year for timely consideration.
Our OT admissions committee begins reviewing applications in September with priority consideration given to Rockhurst pre-admission and OT Scholar students, as well as Avila University and Truman State University students who meet the terms of RU’s contractual agreement. These priority students must complete their entire application by Sept. 1 of their junior year or they will lose their pre-admission status and will be considered part of the general applicant pool.
Once all materials are received, qualified applicants may be invited to participate in a first interview, typically in November. Additional interviews are held the following February.
Step 3: You’re Accepted, Now What?
Once you accept an offer of admission to our OT program, you are required to submit a second set of transcripts from every college and university you have attended. OTCAS cannot forward transcripts to Rockhurst to fulfill this institutional requirement, so these transcripts must be sent to RU’s Office of Graduate Admissions at 1100 Rockhurst Road, Kansas City, MO 64110.