Occupational Therapy FAQs

What is a typical day like?
Most classes are offered Monday-Thursday between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm allowing Friday for faculty to work in the clinic or perform research.

How do I submit proof of meeting provisional acceptance requirements?  
Some students are accepted even though we are still waiting on items such as final course grades, proof of observations, etc… If you were accepted under provisional circumstances, please submit proof of meeting any missing requirements to OTCAS. Students must have all pre-requisite courses complete before entering the program. After the OTCAS deadline for receiving materials passes, all transcripts must be sent to the Office of Graduate Admission, 1100 Rockhurst Road, Kansas City, MO 64110. Transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope in order to be considered official.

Rockhurst students, who did not apply through OTCAS, can submit transcripts, etc… to the Office of Graduate Admission, 1100 Rockhurst Road, Kansas City, MO 64110. Transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope in order to be considered official.

How do I find housing/roommate?
For those who may be searching for a place to live or a roommate, we can offer some options.  Rockhurst University is now able to offer housing for graduate students.  We are now accepting applications for the next academic year. We welcome graduate students in the university homes and are more than happy to make accommodations for different start/end times, fieldwork, etc. If you are interested, please contact the director of residence life at 816-501-4663 or visit the housing webpage. Additionally, the Departments of OT and PT collaborate to collect names and pass them on to those looking for a place to live. If you are looking for a roommate or a place to live, send Beth Harris, our secretary, a message and she’ll add you to our list. Her contact information is beth.harris@rockhurst.edu or 816-501-4059.

Is there a laptop requirement? 
We require all students to have a laptop computer for use throughout the MOT curriculum. The computer will be used in some lecture and laboratory sessions on campus and allow you greater ease of obtaining electronic data required of the faculty. You will be required to install anti-virus software and a program that insures that your computer is safe to connect to the network each time you turn it on. This software will be provided for you at no charge by Rockhurst Computer Services during orientation. 

Do I need health insurance?
All MOT students are required to submit proof of health insurance. Rockhurst University offers insurance for students or you can have an external plan.   

What is the cost of the MOT program?
Students are eligible to borrow enough money each year to cover their total cost of education.  This is the sum of tuition and fees plus books, room and board, and living expenses.

How do I apply for financial aid?
We encourage you to get this process started as soon as possible. While you may apply anytime, certain available funds may be depleted prior to deadline dates. You may complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please note Rockhurst University’s Federal School Code is 002499. You may contact the Rockhurst University Financial Aid Office to assist you in your application process at 816-501-4831 or 1-800-842-6776. In addition to federal funds, we provide information on various scholarships and sources of financial aid on our website.

What books and supplies do I need?
The Department of Occupational Therapy has streamlined the number of required text books  so your cost is kept to a minimum. You will use the same book in many classes and we ask that you keep all books throughout the duration of the MOT program. The link for books and supplies above will take you to Rockhurst University's bookstore. Use your class schedule to search by course to find the required text books.

Do I need to be a member of AOTA?
We require all students to join AOTA. AOTA membership allows you access to subscriptions, continuing education, professional resources and discussions which are referenced in many MOT courses.

How do I arrange accommodations?
Rockhurst University is committed to providing equal access for all qualified students. If you are a student in need of accommodations, contact the Access Office for information about how to request accommodations.

How do I learn more about Rockhurst University Occupational Therapy?

  • Follow our Blog
  • Be our Facebook friend. Friend us at “Rockhurst Occupational – Therapy”
  • Come spend a day with a student, visit and OT class, lab, or just tour the campus. Contact beth.harris@rockhurst.edu and she will set you up.