Occupational Therapy Admission Requirements
Applicants to the occupational therapy education program must demonstrate the following to be considered for admission:
- Completion of a bachelor's degree at an accredited university in a discipline other than occupational therapy
- Minimum cumulative, natural science, and prerequisite coursework GPA of 3.0 or higher is recommended
- Completion of all prerequisites by the end of the spring semester prior to beginning the program
- If you are an international student applying from a non-English-speaking country, please also submit a TOEFL score of at least 79 Internet-based test
- At least three professional references
- Personal essay
- Observation hours – two different OT settings for a total of 16 hours
- Completion of all materials in the online application (otcas.org)
- Participation in a personal interview
Points of Entry
The occupational therapy education program accommodates multiple points of acceptance for interested students. For Rockhurst undergraduate students, these include freshman pre-admission, the occupational therapy scholars program, or regular admittance during the final year of undergraduate coursework. Rockhurst students also have the option of completing their undergraduate degree and OT degree within our 3 + 2 program. Post-baccaulaureate and transfer students from other accredited universities are also invited to apply. Transfer students may qualify for the transfer pre-admission program. Please see details below.
- Freshman Pre-admission
Exceptional students who plan to attend Rockhurst for their undergraduate degree may be awarded a freshman early-admission guarantee for the Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT) program based on a combination of ACT or SAT scores, high school GPA and prerequisite courses. Students complete the application process by Sept. 1 of their junior year at Rockhurst. Download and print Freshman Pre-Admissions Criteria (PDF)
- OT Scholars
Rockhurst students with outstanding academic work may apply for advanced admission status through the OT scholars program. To apply for acceptance into the OT scholars program, students submit a letter of intent to the occupational therapy program office before the start of their sophomore year. OT scholars must achieve and maintain a cumulative and science GPA of a minimum of 3.5. Students then complete the application process by Sept. 1 of their junior year. Download and print OT Scholars Criteria (PDF)
- 3 + 2 Program
A five-year Master of Occupational Therapy program is available to students consecutively enrolled at Rockhurst from their freshman year. RU students need to contact the OT department early if interested in this opportunity.
Post-baccalaureate or Transfer Students
- Post-baccalaureate Students
Students from accredited universities are welcome to apply to Rockhurst. Typically, students apply while in the last year of their undergraduate degree with a plan to enter the graduate program upon completion of their undergraduate degree.
- Transfer Students
Students transferring to Rockhurst may apply for pre-admission if they have completed two years of undergraduate coursework. To apply, the student submits a letter of intent to the occupational therapy program office before the conclusion of their first semester at Rockhurst. Students then complete the application process by Sept. 1 of their junior year. *Transfer students are not eligible for the 3 + 2 program. Download and print Transfer Pre-Admission Criteria (PDF)
Rockhurst students may apply for admission to the MOT program through the graduate admissions office. All other applicants must apply through OTCAS at otcas.org the summer prior to the selection of a new class.
Students must have all prerequisite courses completed before entering the program. A minimum cumulative natural science, and prerequisite coursework GPA of 3.0 or higher is recommended.
- English Composition (6)
- Foundations of Speech (3)
- Statistics (3)
- Ethics (3)
- Abnormal Psychology (3)
- Introductory Sociology or Anthropology (3)
- Developmental Psychology (3)
- Introductory Physics with lab (4)
- Biology with lab (4)
- Physiology with lab (4)
- Anatomy with lab (4)
- A minimum of four hours of anatomy must have been completed within the past five years.
Requirements are subject to change. It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact the graduate admissions office or the department of occupational therapy education to inquire if there are changes before submitting an application through OTCAS.
If you have questions about whether specific courses meet our prerequisite requirements, contact Terry Forge, director of academic advising.
Avila University and Truman State University
Degree seeking students at Avila University and Truman State University with outstanding academic qualifications may be eligible for automatic acceptance into the MOT program at Rockhurst University. For consideration, interested students are expected to submit the following materials to Rockhurst University's occupational therapy department at the end of the spring semester of their junior year.
- Letter of intent
- Official transcript (needs to include grades from the spring semester of their junior year)
For specific criteria and information about the OT department's articulation agreements, please download and print the following materials:
- Avila University - Articulation Agreement and Admissions Criteria (PDF)
- Truman State University - Articulation Agreement and Admissions Criteria (PDF)
Materials can be mailed to:
Department of Occupational Therapy
1100 Rockhurst Road
Kansas City, MO 64110