Helzberg School of Management - Data Science Curriculum
Classes within our 12-credit-hour data science certificate programs are taught in a unique workshop format. Each week, you’ll receive new datasets and learn methods to understand and analyze them. You’ll be encouraged to use your own company’s data for each project or the Helzberg School can supply datasets as needed.
Through this hands-on approach, you’ll learn to build predictive models, dynamic dashboards and work with large sets of data.
Both data certificate tracks help you move beyond Excel and standard SQL reporting. Not only will you learn how to examine and mine data, we’ll also cover how to communicate your findings to a non-technical audience.
Common Core Curriculum, 6 credit hours
- Business Intelligence, BUS 6300 (2 credit hours)
- Applied Data Mining, BUS 6301S (2 credit hours)
- Data Visualization, BUS 6302S (2 credit hours)
In addition to these core courses, you’ll choose from one of the tracks below. In total, you’ll earn 12 credit hours within this certificate program.
Data Science and Business Analytics Curriculum, 6 credit hours
- Predictive Models, BUS 6303S (2 credit hours)
- Text Mining, BUS 6304S (2 credit hours)
- Preparation and Analysis for Big Data, BUS 6305S (2 credit hours)
Business Intelligence Curriculum, 6 credit hours
- Web and Social Media Analytics, BUS 6306S (2 credit hours)
- Dashboard Creation and Implementation, BUS 6307S (2 credit hours)
- Analytics and Strategy, BUS 6308S (2 credit hours)
For course descriptions, visit rockhurst.edu/catalog.
You’ll be taught using the common, typically open-source, tools of data science, including:
- R and RStudio
- Python with Pandas
- Google Analytics
Prerequisites: Intro to R, Intro to Python, Linear and Multivariate Models, Databases for Analysis